Monday, March 4, 2013

Puppy Proof Makeup and Skincare

I recently adopted a 10 month old miniature pinscher from an animal shelter. I didn’t have a pet growing up, but I was always so envious of other kids who had them and really connected with dogs in particular. Now that I live on my own, I am so glad that I can provide a home for an animal in need. Not to mention she’s basically the most precious thing ever! Who can punish a dog with such a cute face for chewing up her own leash?


image


All that aside, puppies have lots of energy and love to show their love through doggy kisses, aka lots of licking. After experiencing this, I started to think about the products I use on my body, especially the exposed parts. My puppy LOVES the smell of scented body lotions and runs over to lick me whenever she sees I am putting lotion on. As a result, she’s ingesting some of it. This got me thinking about the harmful things that are in both skincare and makeup, so I decided to do some research and come up with some products that I could use on days when I’d be doing a lot of puppy playing.


Skincare


Searching through my stash of body lotions, I found that I only had one that was paraben free. The Bliss Naked Body Butter, though for reference all of their scented ones are also paraben free. Whenever I know I’m going to be wearing shorts and have my legs exposed, I try to use this in place of my other body lotions. I also use it on my hands and try to let it fully sink in before I go anywhere near my puppy.


image



Foundation


This one was a bit difficult, but the Bare Minerals mineral foundations are paraben free and are great! I always make sure to put this on if I know there will be some face loving going on.


image



Lips


Initially I thought that I was going to have to give up any colored lip products, and switch to chapstick entirely. Burt’s Bees chap stick is a great natural and paraben free option that I use on a regular basis. Upon researching, i discovered that Tarte lipglosses and lipsurgences, OCC lip tars, and Bare Minerals Pretty Amazing liquid lipsticks are also paraben free. I can rock some great color and still be cognizant of what my puppy might be licking up.


image



Nailpolish


I think it’s fairly well known that of cosmetics products, nail polishes tend to contain the most harmful chemicals. Luckily, there are a lot of reasonably priced brands that are 3 free, 4 free and 5 free. If you don’t know, the 3 free refers to formaldehyde, dibutyl pthalate, and toluene. I have had personal experience using toluene in lab work as an undergrad for cleaning oil stains from rock cores. For those who think that the danger claims associated with these chemicals are not so significant, I can personally attest to the fact that my skin had significant reactions every single time I used toluene in the lab even though my hands were protected by gloves. These chemicals are no joke. The fourth and fifth chemicals are formaldehyde resin and camphor. 


Some of the 3 free brands which I love include Butter London, Sephora by OPI and Color Club. The nail polishes are opaque and long lasting, so you don’t have to sacrifice quality to be conscious of chemicals.


I own two 4 free brands, Orly and Spa Ritual. I personally own quite a few Spa Ritual nail polishes and absolutely love them. They are definitely some of my most worn.


The only 5 free brand I own is Zoya. I was able to actually get 3 bottles of Zoya polish for free (you just pay for shipping) and that’s how I came across it. I’m definitely planning to pick up more colors as I work through some of my other polishes!


image



I hope that this information was helpful for any other fellow pet owners. We all want to keep our furry friends healthy and happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment