Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Book Review: NARS Makeup Your Mind Express Yourself


Something I rarely see are reviews of beauty books. I, personally, can’t get enough of books. I’ve always been an avid reader and when I stumbled across makeup books I was instantly hooked. There’s a fantastic selection of books for those who are just starting out and need information on the basics. However, I prefer to peruse the ones that inspire my creativity and spark new ideas. Hence, I’ll be talking about Makeup Your Mind: Express Yourself by Francois Nars ($46).


I knew Nars had released a book and had been curious about it, but when I searched amazon (currently $29.70, not bad!) the price made me hesitate. After that initial search, I completely forgot about it. Then, a few years ago I stumbled across a lone copy at Urban Outfitters with a 70% off sticker. I was already in a long line with my items, and left the line because the book was calling to me. I would gladly say it is worth every penny.

The book is split into three parts: play, perfect and polish. Essentially these are references to ages, 20s/30s, 40s, and 50s/60s. The book features women (and 3 men) from ages 16-64, from every ethnicity wearing a variety of makeup looks. There are numerous tips throughout the book, but the best part is the way the before and after pictures work. There is a before picture on the left, followed by an after picture on the right. Instead of having to wonder about exact placements of products, you are guided by a see-through overlay which tells you which products were put where. It’s an intuitive way to guide readers through the looks and a great plug for Nars products.


At the end of each section, there are details on the makeup application in case a picture with the overlay guide wasn’t clear enough.


I can’t get enough of this book. If you love beautiful makeup pictures and are looking for something that will get your creative juices flowing, this is a fabulous purchase to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment