Saturday, November 16, 2013

Review: Maybelline Color Elixir

I was browsing the makeup section in Bed Bath and Beyond earlier this week (really quite extensive and always seems to have the newest products with plenty in stock) and came across the Maybelline Color Elixir lip glosses. The display had 20 colors in it, and I ended up getting two of them both of which I really liked for the fall. At Bed Bath and Beyond they retail for $6.49 a piece, and contain 0.15 oz of product. They come in small glass vials, and have the shape of a lipstick if you turn them upside down.

Maybelline claims that they "deliver the color of a lipstick, the care of a balm and the glass shine of a gloss". I think I would agree with the last two statements, but they aren't quite as opaque as a lipstick. For a lip gloss though, they are definitely on the pigmented side and aren't your sheer color. I have a dark spot on my lip which is almost nearly concealed by these glosses, so I would call them semi-opaque. I selected number 50, Caviar Couture and number 70, Intoxicating Spice. Caviar Couture is a deep berry plum shot through with some fine sparkle, but doesn't feel gritty at all going on. Intoxicating spice is a lovely browny-red and is a cream. The applicator for the glosses is a doe-foot with a very pointy tip which I love for precision application. They slide on very smoothly and feel comfortable to wear on the lips. I don't find them particularly sticky and they last 2-3 hours on the lips so long as you aren't doing any heavy eating and drinking. I'm not sure if they truly have the care of a balm, but my lips never feel dried out when wearing these and I don't feel the need to reach for my lip balm in between applications every few hours.

Overall, I am quite pleased with these glosses and love the variety of colors that were available in the display. Perhaps in the spring time I will pick up a few of the brighter colors to add to my collection :)

Photos of Products and Swatches Below!














No comments:

Post a Comment