Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Matte Matchup: My Favorite Matte Eyeshadow Palettes

I LOVE matte eyeshadows. Don’t get me wrong, shimmer and glitter definitely attract me, but I honestly just get the most wear out of my mattes. Matte palettes are my go-to during internships where dress code is business casual/business since they don’t attract too much attention and tend to come in a variety of neutral colors. With that said, let’s get down to my top picks!


1. Meet Matt(e) Nude


I ordered this on sale through Hautelook (0.9 oz, $42 regular retail but I got it for $21). The eyeshadow portions are quite generous and there’s a mix of both cool and warm tones split amongst the 9 colors. The texture is very smooth and buttery, and while the finish is matte, I would describe it as a satin matte (similar to Lorac’s baked matte eyeshadows). I love how the names are all different ethnicities, and who can complain about a picture of a handsome man? This palette is really well rounded and includes a little bit of subtle color, pale yellow and grey purples, for people who like to stretch their definition of neutral.


2. Too Faced Matte Eye


This is the first matte eyeshadow palette I bought (0.39 oz, $36). I went into Sephora in search of a palette because I didn’t want to pay for individual shadows since that always ends up being more pricey. The sales lady immediately ushered me over to the Too Faced counter, and at the time it was the only all matte palette they carried. The palette contains 9 colors, all of which are on the cool side. The texture is once again, very smooth and buttery. The palette comes with “look” cards, which can be really useful if you are just starting out and aren’t sure what will go well together. The palette is laid out in sets of three to guide you if you don’t know what to put together. My only problem with this palette is that the highlight shades are much bigger than the lid/crease shades. I would have really preferred to have equal amounts of all the shadows. Too Faced recommends sweeping the highlight color all over the lid and brow bone, which is why they include a larger amount of it. If you love cool tones, this is a great palette to get.


3. Stila In The Know


Oh man. This is my favorite one. The colors are just so gorgeous and you can really build anything from a “no makeup” makeup look to a dramatic smoky eye. The palette includes 10 eyeshadows and a smudge stick eyeliner in halfmoon (0.49 oz, $39). Again, similar story for the textures. This is a more truly “neutral” palette. The only exception would be the color fire, which is a beautiful rusty orange and is amazing for warming up the crease. Most of the colors lean on the warm side, with only a few cool toned colors. I never get tired of using this palette and I find that the combinations you can create are endless. It’s a nice bonus that it comes with an eyeliner, which fits into a slot so you can carry it with the palette. The packaging is sleek and simple, and I love the earth inspired theme.


That wraps up my top three palettes. There are other matte shadows which come individually that I also love, but I really think you get the best deal in terms of quality and price when you go for a palette. Let me know what your favorite matte shadows are!


Photos of Products and Swatches!












No comments:

Post a Comment