Sunday, February 3, 2013

Favorite Red Lip Products for Valentine's!

This February (I know it’s only been 3 days in) I’ve been wearing red lips nonstop. I always gravitate towards red or pink lips during this month. Not that I’m a big fan of Valentine’s Day because I rarely ever do anything for it, but the “holiday” gives me an excuse to do it.


Anyways, here are the products that I’m loving for red lips!


1. MAC Ruby Woo - matte lipstick, true blue-red with a very retro feel (0.11oz, $14.50). This is seriously the boldest and brightest red I have found. For people who don’t like having their lips feel dry this lipstick might be problematic, but I find that soaking my lips with some good lip balm an hour before I apply really helps. I also make sure that my lips are smooth and exfoliated because matte lipsticks will tend to emphasize any residually clinging skin. The blue undertone really brings out the whiteness in your teeth which is a big plus! I find that this lipstick will transfer, but it still lasts me through eating and drinking without much fuss.


I personally like to pair this with MAC Cherry lip liner (0.05oz, $14.50) underneath for an extra boost to the lasting power, and when I’m in a glossy mood I sometimes will pop some of MAC Russian Red lipglass (0.17oz, $14.50) in the center. In general, I’m a bit wary of red lipglosses because somehow I manage to get them on my face or teeth.


2. Kat Von D Foiled Love Lipstick in Adora - bright metallic true red, and my go to for Christmas time because the finish reminds me of a shiny ornament (0.11oz, $19). I basically only wear this around the holidays because it is a lot of color and the texture is eye-catching as well. Again, this lipstick is on the drying side as well even though it doesn’t have a matte finish so lip balm beforehand is your friend. During meals the base color lasts even though the lipstick will transfer, but the metallic finish can fade away, so I usually touch up just a little bit afterwards. I like wearing this with winged liner and mascara so that all the emphasis is on the lips.


3. MAC Diva - dark red, matte finish (0.11oz, $14.50). I LOVE this color. In fact, I wear it much more frequently than either of my bright reds. I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m more comfortable with a deeper shade or if it’s just because I’m automatically attracted to any rich red shades I see. This lipstick is opaque and I skip any form of lip pencil when I use it. Again, it does transfer and fades slightly after eating and drinking. It’s not as drying as MAC Ruby Woo even though it has the same finish.


4. Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet - again, lovely dark red but with a glossy finish (0.13oz, $7 but you can get BOGO deals if you are on the lookout). If you’re looking for comfortable wear on the lips, this is the one to go for. It feels moist and hydrating on the lips but still packs a lot of color. The major downside with this is that it will wear away on its own after about 3 hours (even if you haven’t eaten or drank anything) so you have to carry it around and check on it. Plus you use it up a lot faster than the other lipsticks I mentioned.


5. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Adore - dark red with a glossy finish (0.095oz, $8 but again you can get BOGO). As the name states, it truly is a “balm stain”. It will definitely stain your lips, but on the plus side its pretty transfer resistant. This would be good if you are going on a date on Valentine’s day and want to be able to kiss your date :p Instead of a traditional lipstick type bullet, it’s a chubby lip pencil which makes it really easy to apply and especially good for beginners. You don’t have to sharpen it since it will twist up on its own. I often will layer this underneath the Revlon Red Velvet in order to make it last longer, so that even when the lip butter fades I still have a good amount of color stained onto my lips.


Photos of Products and Swatches!



















No comments:

Post a Comment