Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review: Smashbox Wondervision Mega Palette

I picked up the Smashbox Wondervision palette during Ulta's black Friday sale (it was on sale for $39 instead of $49), and it's one of the most versatile palettes I own. Normally I dislike giant palettes; I've never been a fan of the 88 or 120 color palettes, not because of quality or anything like that but simply because I'm the type of person who gets overwhelmed by too many choices. It's so much easier for me to look at 20 shadows at once and figure out what to do. I've never purchased a Smashbox palette before because they often have gel liners (cream products) mixed in with their eyeshadows and cheek products. This palette has no liners but contains 2 blushes, 1 highlight, 1 bronzer and 30 eyeshadows with a variety of finishes.




There's a lovely mix of neutrals and colors in the palette, along with every essential matte (all your classic highlight and blending colors) you might need to create a completely neutral everyday look or to make your colored shadows wearable on a day to day basis. The shadows are incredibly pigmented, soft and creamy and housed inside of a thick black case which has a metallic closure and a large mirror. The palette stays propped up similar to the Urban Decay Vice 2 palette which is quite convenient since you don't need to use one hand to keep the mirror up while doing your makeup. It comes with a number of cards to help you build looks, which I don't use, but do value since I certainly understand how a beginner could feel overwhelmed and not know where to start.






The bronzer is matte, making it use-able for contour as well as overall warming up the complexion. The highlighter, which perhaps could be a light pink shimmery blush for those with very fair skin tones, is finely milled and the sparkle is not chunky. There is one pink and one peach blush, which is perfect for going with any look you might create using the eyeshadows.


At the price I picked it up for, I seriously think it was a steal. I would still recommend it at the original price point, and can see this being in my regular rotation through out all seasons due to the different colors in it.

One of my recent looks: Fawn in the crease, Umber all over the lid,  Maize as the brow highlight, Chocolate as the outer v color, Mint as the inner corner highlight, Green on the lower lash line and Black as my liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment