Sunday, April 7, 2013

Haul: Mac & Estee Lauder

I finally got a chance to venture over to a real mall this weekend, and while my main purpose for going was to focus on a few new wardrobe pieces for spring I obviously couldn’t help myself from taking a quick peek around the makeup counters.

When wandering through the MAC store, I came across the pigments section (0.26 oz, $21) and remembered that I’d seen some positive reviews for Tan pigment. I started out swatching it and quickly understood why it was so popular. It’s a perfect everyday shade with a bit of oomph because the pigment finish is bolder than your regular eyeshadow. I plan on using this both as an eyeshadow, and maybe even as a highlight during the summer when I want a golden glow. Of course, I couldn’t stop myself from swatching a few others while I was there and of the others I tried out, Rose pigment was the one that stood out. If you’re familiar with Expensive Pink which is a regular eyeshadow, Rose pigment is similar in its pink-gold duochrome but its a much darker and bolder pink. I will probably use this mainly as an eyeshadow, but it would be lovely as a blush, and even as a gloss for the lips. I also really liked Pink Bronze pigment but decided to pass on it, and I’m really having buyers remorse now for leaving it behind. Ah well, something for next time!

image

image

On my way exiting the mall, I went through Macy’s and the Estee Lauder counter just called out to me. I don’t have many products from Estee Lauder but the ones that I do are absolutely divine. I think this brand is usually associated with older women, and I don’t really understand why. The sales rep who was helping me out was lovely, and we got to chatting. Turns out her day job is actually being an accountant and she does makeup counter work on the weekends and a few nights a week just because she loves makeup. Not going to lie, this actually sounds pretty great to me and maybe I’ll have to look into doing something similar once I get done with graduate school. Anyways, I ended up picking out the Desert Heat eyeshadow palette (0.27 oz, $48). I’ve been trying to refine my purchases to things I will actually wear, so instead of picking out something bright blue because it’s gorgeous in the container, I try to get things I know will be easy to wear. Desert Heat is perfect because its all neutrals along with a smokey olive green. Plus the palette has two matte shades which is great. I find a lot of higher end palettes (Lancome, Dior, Chanel, etc) are just all frosty shades and I  would never use more than one color at a time from them. Which makes having a palette sort of pointless.

image

Sadly it seems like the weekend is already coming to an end. Time to get to those last minute chores…

Photos of Swatches Below

image

image

No comments:

Post a Comment